Friday, July 20, 2007

On a Cloudy Day by Rabindranath Tagore

Every day is filled with work and with people all around. Every day one gets the feeling that the day’s work and exchanges finish saying all that needed to be said at the end of the day. One doesn’t find the time to grasp that which remains unsaid within.

This morning, cluster upon cluster of cloud has covered the sky’s chest. Today, too, there’s work to do, and there are people around. But there’s a feeling that all that lies inside cannot be exhausted outside.

Man crossed seas, scaled mountains, dug holes under the ground to steal gems and riches, but transmitting one person’s innermost thoughts and feelings to another—this, man could never accomplish.


On this cloudy morning that caged thought of mine is desperately flapping its wings within me. The person inside says, “Where is that forever’s friend who will rob me of all my rain by exhausting my heart’s clouds?”

On this cloud-covered morning I hear the inside voice rattling the closed door’s fetters again and again. I wonder what should I do? Who is the one at whose call my words will cross work’s barrier to journey through the world with the lamp of song in my hands? Who is there whose one look would string all my strewn pain into a garland of joy, and would make them glow in one light? I can only give it to the one who begs it of me with the perfect note. At the bend of which road stands that ruinous beggar of mine?

My inside’s ache is wearing a saffron robe today. It wants to come outside, into the path which, like the innocent single string of an ektara, chimes within the steps of the ‘heart’s person.’

Translated by Bhaswati Ghosh


7 comments:

  1. Again, I understand why you are so devoted to the Rabindrasangeet. But I wonder, Bhaswati, if you realize how many of us you are converting around the globe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was very profound for me. Thank you for translating and sharing, Bhaswati.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Bhaswati. That's simply beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Jamie. The pleasure is all mine. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hauntingly beautiful, Bhaswati. I enjoyed reading your blog, and am so impressed by your command of languages.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for dropping by my blog, Pat. I am glad you enjoyed reading it. Please feel free to visit any time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its good to see so many people discovering tagore as a result of your excellent translations. In today's milieu of crass materialism and ersatz spiritualism tagore offers a bonanza of true spiritual freedom which unfortunately remains mostly restricted bengalis because the translations of tagore are minimal compared to his voluminous output. Moreover there is a complaint that tagore's own translations are in an archaic english which do not really gell with people these days. So Bhaswati you have done us all a service by using more contemporary english and I hope you will continue this project and publish in print some day

    ReplyDelete