Monday, June 18, 2007

The Wait

I waited for you.

I waited through days that won’t turn into nights.

I waited even as others fled, unable to bear the separation.

I waited with the still, suffocating air that drained out my senses.

For you I survived, barely alive, yet expectant, when others died.

I waited when the prophets said you would take a long time coming.

...

And then, you came.

You brought the cool brush of night right into the day.

You embraced me with a smile; my reward for not deserting you.

You changed the very complexion of the air with your every stance.

You put life back into dead, parched souls with your lush strokes.

You came for me, defying the prophets.

You came.



Dearest Rain.



8 comments:

  1. Seems like a much worthy wait :D This is a lovely poem, Sury. Beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second cesarcarlos' thoughts, although I live in the northeastern United States where the wait usually isn't long. Besides your lovely poetry, Bhaswati, you have a lovely nickname, Sury. Would you care to explain?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the cool brush part. Very. So right. well written.

    ReplyDelete
  4. While reading this, somehow I was reminded of the scene when it rains on the 12th day of the swami's penance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oops, I forgot to mention the name of the movie- my reference was to the rain scene in the movie "Guide" , based on RK's novel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rains bring some of the most original emotions...and after the scorching summer heat of Delhi when the monsoon comes, it brings the much needed joy in life...a very timely poem Bhaswati...the wait is over, it came for you defying the prophets!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely poem :) It embodies such a religious feeling to it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much, Alicia. For calling this a poem in the first place (:P) and for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete